Dr Peter McEwen
I was educated at Marist College Ashgrove in Brisbane and the University of Queensland. I completed advanced orthopaedic training in 1999 and have been in full-time clinical practice in Townsville since 2001. I have undergone post fellowship subspecialty training and dedicate myself almost exclusively to surgery of the knee.
I have a particular interest in surgery for sporting injuries of the knee. My post fellowship training and ongoing involvement with the ICRS and ISAKOS reflects this interest. I am team surgeon for the Townsville Crocodiles NBL team and work with the Townsville Fire WNBL Team.
Medical Education and Research
I am actively involved in medical education at all levels from lecturing medical students at James Cook University to mentoring advanced orthopaedic surgical trainees at The Townsville Hospital.
- Director of Training, Institute of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Townsville Hospital
- Regional Training Committee, Qld Branch, Australian Orthopaedic Association
I am a founding member and Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Orthopaedic Research of Queensland (The ORIQL).
I travel to scientific conferences / workshops and read extensively to maintain my knowledge and skills at the highest level. I have presented many scientific papers in Australia and overseas and have been an invited speaker at conferences in the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
- Clinical Director, Institute of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Townsville Hospital, 2005-2007.
- General Director, Qld Branch, Australian Orthopaedic Association 2005-2008.
- Scientific Secretary, Qld Branch, Australian Orthopaedic Association 2009-2010.
- Convenor, Annual Scientific Meeting, Qld Branch, Australian Orthopaedic Association 2009-2010.
- Continuing Orthopaedic Education Committee, Australian Orthopaedic Association 2009-2010.
- Scientific Committee , Australian Orthopaedic Association 2009-2010.
- Qualifications: Undergraduate | University of Queensland | Bachelor of Medicine | Bachelor of Surgery | University of New England | Diploma of Modern Language (Italian) | Postgraduate
- Fellowships and Academic Awards: Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons | Research Fellow Sportsmed SA | Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Memberships: Royal Australasian College of Surgeons | Australian Orthopaedic Association | International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS) | International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee and Orthopaedic Sports Surgery (ISAKOS) | Orthopaedic Research Institute of Queensland (The ORIQL)
- Current Hospital Appointments: Visiting Specialist Orthopaedic Surgeon, Mater Misericordiae Hospital Townsville | Senior Visiting Specialist Orthopaedic Surgeon, The Townsville Hospital